Friday, June 15, 2012

Where in the Hell have you been??

 I get that a lot, seems no one is ever looking for you unless you are doing something else. But for the past 13 weeks on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday I have been skating my heart out. For why you may ask... Well for the past few years I have been starring at these little fliers like a lost puppy wishing it could read.
Poster from the week I started


So on March 14th I went to Looney's to see what it was all about. I felt like and idiot, I asked myself, why was I here? I thought I could skate well but this had nothing to do with skating to your favorite song with the wind in your hair. This was serious, this was hard, this was scary, This was fun! I have never done organized sports before. I am not use to playing with a team. But I loved to skate. So when I would think about joining it was always one of those, "before I die" things. I looked like such a fool at my first practice. It was really last minute and I wasn't sure if I had a sitter.
That it that night and came home with my legs in the worse pain ever! I stayed up with ice packs and peas on my legs till the sun came up.

Bottom right with Jeans on!
For the next 3 days I was hunting down skates and gear, waiting for my skates to come was like waiting on Christmas. My skates came on the day of the next practice. By then I was like, I have to go!
My local derby team is/was pretty small and doesn't have a huge turn out on open recruitment like some teams do, which is a good thing because you don't have to worry if you "make the cut". You can take the time to learn how to skate, stop and fall correctly. With RRR you start out as a maggot and learn basic skills and safety. Then after you feel ready you can take the maggot to meat test to become fresh meat. At that level you will work on more blocker/jammer positioning and scrimmages. But you still have a few more months to go until you make it to an official Roller Girl. I will cover that as I progress. Until then find your local team and go support your local roller derby!



                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment